Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Melissa Benoist

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's..... Supergirl!!
Now, if you haven't figured this out yet, I love superheroes. And superhero shows. And when CBS announced that they were creating a Supergirl TV show, I was a little skeptical. I mean, The CW had done pretty well with Arrow and The Flash, so long as you aren't a diehard fan of the comics. Because they do take a number of liberties. So, I held my breath when Supergirl started. For, like, 10 seconds.  And then it didn't actually ruin Kara Zor-El's origin story and I kept watching.

I'll be honest, before Supergirl I did not know who Melissa Benoist was. But I have the utmost respect for her and am very glad she took the role. She captures the hopefulness and strength of Supergirl and is just brilliant


with Grant Gustin who plays The Flash. In fact, my favorite episode of TV ever is the crossover episode of Supergirl where The Flash accidentally travels to her dimension. I'm excited for her to join the Arrow-verse this season on The CW.

She was also on Glee, which is where she first met Grant Gustin because that is where his career started. I heard they may be doing a musical crossover between The Flash and Supergirl, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering many cast members from both shows have musical backgrounds.
And speaking of all these superhero shows, The Flash starts tonight, kicking off a week and a half of premieres on The CW! Supergirl starts on Monday, Oct. 10th. There are a lot of new shows this fall that I already love and am excited to check out. I wrote about it on my writer blog HERE.

But, going back to Melissa, she was in The Last Ride, which I
loved because I'm a sucker for love stories. She's not the main character, but one of the sorority sisters. Melissa has had many smaller roles, so if you're thinking she looks familiar but you haven't watched Supergirl yet, (the first season is on Netflix, btw. You should go watch it... )  that's probably why! I would love to work with her in the future. I'm currently working on two very different screenplays, both of which I think she would be phenomenal in. So hopefully we can make this happen! The world needs more Melissa Benoist! To see everything she's been in, you can visit her imdb page HERE.

And in honor of her birthday today, I made chocolate mint thumbprint cookies!! These are delightful and not overpoweringly minty  or chocolatey. They're an amazing balance of deliciousness!

I adapted these from THIS recipe over at Julie's Eats and Treats.



Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies

For the cookie:
1 cup butter (room temperature)
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

2 ounce chocolate candiquick

For the fudge  filling:
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 of a 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon mint extract to taste
food coloring ( Green )

Start by mixing butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes in a mixer. Then, add the eggs one at a time until combined. Add the vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.

Roll dough into one inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Then, press the centers with your thumb (hence the name thumbprint cookie. Haha) or you can use a small round object to create the dip in the cookies.

Once the cookies are pressed, bake them at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Once baked, let them cool briefly on the pan, then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.

For the filing, combine the white chocolate. chips, mint extract, and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan and cook on a medium heat just until the chocolate is just melted. Remove from heat and add food coloring.

Spoon into center of cookies. Then, melt the candiquik chocolate and drizzle over filled cookies.

Once chocolate sets, enjoy!! They are delightful!! What shows are you looking forward to this fall? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment