Monday, August 1, 2016

JK Rowling

Today is a double whamy. Sort of. Because I don't normally celebrate fictional character's birthdays, but it's Harry Freaking Potter. AND, it's JK Rowling's birthday. And she created Harry Potter, so I feel like celebrating both of them today is important.

Also, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play came out at midnight....I might have gotten it at midnight...and I might have finished it.....but in my defense, it was a play. And, in general, a play should take as long to read as it would to watch. Did you guys know that? I learned that in my first screenwriting class where we wrote a bunch of plays. And for that reason I actually really enjoyed reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Also, it was a lot of fun to enjoy one last adventure with Harry. 
Cupcakes I made for a class
project a few years back.
I grew up with him. I related to him along the way. That is, until there started to be years and years in between releases and then I was 23 and Harry was 17 and I had to wait a year after it's release to read it. That was a little bit difficult. BUT, I still loved it. I still love all the books. I love them so much that when the actors from the movies come to Salt Lake Comic Con, I go. And I have them sign Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (my favorite book). 

I kind of offended Lucious Malfoy (Jason Isaacs) when I met him and it was hilarious. That was not Harry Potter related. But it was still funny. I told him Colin O'Donoghue was my favorite Capt. Hook. And he responded with "Why would you ever tell someone that?!" and then we both laughed. It was funny. 

Any way, back to the subject at hand. JK Rowling. She inspired me to reach for my dreams and become a writer. She showed me that I can create a new world on a page and share that new world with everyone. She reminded me that it's okay to dream. And for that, I will always be grateful. 

In honor of her birthday, and Harry Potter's, I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I also read part of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Because it's still my favorite. And I'm going to fall asleep watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, because it's awesome. 

And I'm going to eat these delicious Lime Tartlets!! 

Lime Tartlets
Crust:

1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups flour


Filling:

2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs. butter melted and then cooled
3 Tbs. Lime Juice

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a couple of mini muffin tins (makes 24, so plan accordingly) with non stick cooking spray. For the crust, combine butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Then add egg and flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Divide into 24 pieces and drop into the sprayed mini muffin tins. I use a tart press to press the dough into a tart shell. You can also use the lid of a 2-liter of soda. Once that is done, gently wisk the eggs and then add sugar, butter and lime juice. Then, pour into the tart shells. Bake for 20-22 minutes. After they bake, Let them set for about 5 minutes and then move them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Once cooled, store them in an air tight container in the fridge. When you're ready to serve, I usually sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top of them to finish them off. They taste delicious! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment